Sunday 17 June 2012

Medicine (No 2) A Spoonful Of Sugar. . . .


What it’s all about: Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week Lillie will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.
This is my 2nd entry which I don't usually do but when you have an idea, you just have to go with it. Hope you like this take on Medicine.
The bottle hadn’t been missed and Michael was surprised he had managed to get his little hands on it; buried deep in the carpet bag of mystery amongst items that wouldn’t fit through the door let alone in a carpet bag!
It wasn’t an ordinary medicine; his was red and tasted of strawberry, his sister’s came out green and tasted of lime cordial and the Nanny’s came out dark brown and tasted of rum and as she drank it she muttered something about being ‘Practically Perfect’  of which she was, there was no doubt.
 But she wasn’t so perfect as to give Michael the medicine when he actually needed it; a tickly throat from laughing too much whilst at the funniest tea party ever where he learnt about a wooden leg named Smith.
But now it was all his and he unscrewed the golden cap, his anticipation too much to bear at what flavour he was going to get from this most magnificent liquid; medicine had never tasted so good or had been so exhilarating!
It was white and he instantly thought of fluffy marshmallow as the spoon quickly disappeared into his eager mouth but he was sorely disappointed as it was as bitter as lemon and as sticky as glue; his lips sealed tight so he couldn’t spit it out as he was forced to swallow the all too familiar taste of bitter medicine. .  .

18 comments:

  1. I read this twice because I wanted to taste the medicines again! Descriptions done really well, Lizzie. Liked the inclusion of a nanny with seemingly magic powers. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can't take all the credit. . it's Mary Poppins; I just added my own little bit you don't see in the movie. xxx

      Delete
  2. Ohhhh...this is quite the different spin on things. Not what I expected at all but I love it. Something that may happen more than we know.You have been very busy tonight or should I say this weekend doing your writing haven't you? Really thought provoking this one is. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lot's of writing and I made Ralph a Father's Day cake! He loves it; same sponge as yours. Yum! I got this idea last night whilest sleeping but wanted to do the MM one first. May ahve to go to bed now as I seem to get all my ideas whilst sleeping! xxx

      Delete
  3. Something about the medicine seems wrong to me. I loved Nanny so much with her rum flavored medication. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not my idea. . the rum flavoured medicine . . it's Mary Poppins. xx

      Delete
  4. Ah...yes. Nanny Mary Poppins has been playing on Bdway for years and I only recently got a free ticket. The musical is magical. At the end, she flew (with her broom) right over my head. How nice of you to write this delightful story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Mary Poppins; One of my favourite films and childhood memories.I always wanted that medicine so thought what would happen if one of the children stole it and because steeling is wrong, there just had ot be a punishment! Thank you for stoping by twice!(Bit cheeky writing 2). xxx

      Delete
  5. How very charming! I can't wait for the day my children are big enough to enjoy Mary Poppins with me. I really want the measuring tape, because I never can seen which people are going to turn out to be extremely stubborn or suspicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, too true! A handy piece of equipment indeed epseciallyw orking with children! DoOn't wish too hard as I couldn't wait for my son to 'enjoy' the film, he saw it once and that was it. . hated it. Never again and now he's a teen I have no chance. But I sneek a watch on my own. xxx

      Delete
  6. Do you know, I've never actually seen Mary Poppins! I loved the flavours and descriptions and the disappointment of the bitter lemon! How many times did I tell my kids, 'Yes, it'll taste fine...'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa! Get yourself to Blockbuster or Amazon immediately! You are missing out on the best kids movie since Pixar's creations! And we all do it; yeah it's fione wehn it tastes disgusting but in this case, seve him right for steeling it! Thanks for visting twice. I couldn't decide and just had to present both.xxx

      Delete
  7. I loved this! I could actually smell the strawberry, lime and rum... and I felt the bitterness and stickiness!
    Mary Poppins is the best! I'm actually teaching my grade 2 and 3 choir kids Supercalifragilistic... they are totally caught up in the song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! love that song!!!! Can they say it backwards?? Glad you liked and thank you for visitng! xxx

      Delete
  8. A fun, fun read for children, but I can't help but see it as a rather important metaphorical read for us on the other end of the spectrum. Sometimes those things we expect to be so good can pack a bitter lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's never as good as you remember or hoped. . . I was also saying that actually it's wrong to steal; just desserts and all that. Definate lessons here. Thank you for commenting. xxx

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed this delightful little tale....very well written with a twist at the end....lol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee, hee, got what he deserved. Your comment is so supportive; thank you. xx

      Delete